Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bachelor's pink and blue....


I remember my mom growing these on the farm in Southern Iowa. I think they reseeded themselves each year as I don't remember her every planting them. I read an article about a man in Georgia once and his guru garden friends accused him of gardening like an old lady. In reality, women and men alike, did grow free flowing gardens that were more wild than controlled. My mom would go out and thin out the weeds around what she had desirable and if there was an open spot that is where the new flower from the neighbor was placed.
Iowa has bachelor buttons growing wild along our roadways, along with other wild flowers. They come up early in the year and are blooming before most wildflowers are out. Just on the edge of our town on a gravel road they are growing freely.
Since I am retired, I should get seed collected for next year. We will see how the fall turns out.

5 comments:

claude said...

Very pretty ! On last springtime I sowed some blue wildflowers with red poppies, but with so succes. I will try on next year again.

Sunny said...

So pretty!
Sunny :)

Alan Burnett said...

There is something about both the pink and the blue set against that green background which is very satisfying.

Anonymous said...

These are very pretty flowers. I have some of them too. Mine are going to seed pretty fast at this time. But they and still are a pretty flower.

Pick a Peck of Pixels

The Retired One said...

I love these little flowers. I do not have them in my garden..but they look lovely.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...