Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bradford Pear, an ornamental tree......





I bought this bradford pear, really not knowing what I was buying.  I was actually getting a flowering pear tree, I thought, that had been marked down seventy five percent, to clear it off the lot.  I was hoping I would get the spring flowers but I thought I would get pears too.  So I looked it up a couple of years ago and I became an educated man.  It is a non-fruiting variety.
Regardless of my lack of knowledge about all of this, I have a beautiful specimen tree and the leaves are the last to fall this year.  I like the shine and the color.  It is just great.
















 





 
Have a great weekend....

8 comments:

The Retired One said...

Nature doesn't make mistakes, right?
Maybe you got what you really wanted, after all!

L. D. said...

Yes, I think so.

Anonymous said...

Ahh so pretty-who needs a pear
vickie

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Sometimes it's just nice to have something beautiful to look at....gorgeous colour :)

Valerie said...

I didn't know there was a non-fruiting variety so now I'm educated too. The leaf colours are magnificent, I wonder if they're like that all year round or just in the fall.

Alan Burnett said...

When your post first appeared on my Blogroll, I misread the title as Bradford Pier. I thought, how odd, even though Bradford was the city of my birth and I now only live a few miles from it, I never knew it had a pier. Perhaps the fact that it is 50 or so miles from the sea should have made me suspicious, but Wigan famously has a pier and that is miles from the sea. I have now readjusted my glasses and can say ... nice post.

Sunny said...

Beautiful colors in the leaves. Even without fruit you got an excellent 'deal'.
Enjoy your weekend.
Sunny :)

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

I didn't know there were varieties without fruit..but I guess if the flowering Cherry can do it, why not the pear?!

Lovely color on that tree.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...