Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sepia Saturday




My dad was drafted into the U.S. army when he was 20 years old.  He was sent to do basic training, and during the middle of that training, had to be hospitalized.  Once he became better, he was sent back to start basic all over again.  Once basic training was completed he spent a year or more in Washington D.C. guarding the buildings of the capitol area and also reading radar, watching for invading airplanes.
A year before the end of the war, he was shipped to Belgium.  When he arrived, he stayed in the barracks which were actually these apartment like buildings that you see in the background.  He is standing in front of a statue there in the town. I don't know the name of the town as he wasn't allowed to mail home his actual location.  The town was a temporary staging area before he was sent into field, to help serve in the Battle of the Bulge.  It was like a vacation at first when he arrived over seas but it was a guise for what was to happen to him.
He carried a fifty pound radio, with tubes, and was assigned to assist with the scouts who went before the front line of the American soldiers.  I have a photo that was taken that shows  that they were near the Bridge of Remagen in 1944.  As they crossed that bridge, it was the last one standing along the Rhine river, they were under continual fire. 
The irony of the Belgium pictures of that I have from his collection, is what fierce danger that he eventually faced. 

10 comments:

Linda said...

This is very poignant. We mustn't forget in Europe what a decisive contribution America made.

Anonymous said...

L.D.,
It looks like a very nice place but I bet the whole time he was there he was thinking about what was to come. I can't imagine that.
vickie

claude said...

Hello Larry !
It is thanks to a man like your father that Europe and my cournty got free again.
Yesterday evening with my Chéri we watched on the TV a movie about the last WWII (in french "a bridge to far") and we talked about another film "The bridge of Remagen". The next time I watch that film I will think about your father.
Very glad he went back to America alive.

claude said...

I have forgotten to tell you your Christmas tree is really very beautiful !

Alan Burnett said...

Wonderful picture. Pictures like this just seem to capture the moment and fix it for all time. You look at the faces and wonder what lies ahead.

Betsy Brock said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing this...very interesting. And how great that he got to return when so many didn't!

Tess Kincaid said...

Interesting history behind this photo of your dad, Larry. I salute him for serving our country so bravely.

Far Side of Fifty said...

He looks like a very proud soldier.. I am glad he got to come back home..great story Larry..a 50 pound radio..not exactly like a walk in the park:)

GLOGIRLY said...

That's am amazing photo of your father, Larry. My dad was a Marine in WWII (Iwo Jima.) I have only a couple photos of him from that time, and I cherish them. Thank you for sharing yours.

Glogirly

The Retired One said...

Cool photo! My husband's dad was at the Battle of the Bulge...heard stories of that awful experience!

Tall and Short....

 At four in the morning and one is walking the empty hallways, one never knows what the camera might shoot.