Sunday, May 2, 2010

Snowball bush.......No it isn't Larry!!!!!

Ok, I bought this years ago and it came as a stick. I found a hydrangea, white domed smooth that looks like it but it wasn't that either. You people are correct. It is

Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum 'Summer Snowflake'


I planted this many years ago and this is now the second year that I have seen it bloom. It was amazing how it just started to take off the year before as if it took a few years to get its roots developed.

AS a footnote to the footnote, I posted my find on the internet as to what the plant really is called, not a snowball bush.  Click here to go to my creative zone to see what it is called.

6 comments:

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Lovely! Different than the Snowball bush/tree I had in my yard in Oregon, it was big pom poms of white (always covered in ants, I learned when I picked some to bring inside once). I like yours better, almost look like they are related to Hydrangeas.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty snowball bush Larry. I visited with my 88 year old former neighbor today and we were discussing her old homeplace and all the snowball bushes she had! Thanks for sharing this photo.

L. D. said...

I specifically remember the label calling it a snowball bush but I too think it is a different variety that the large puff ball shapes. It reminds me of the new hydrangeas that they are now selling.

Sunny said...

What a lovely delicate flower, the bright white against the green is stunning.
Sunny :)

Delwyn said...

Hi Larry

I immediately thought of hydrangeas that I saw in Japan when I saw the brilliant white blooms and the ribbed leaf.

Happy days

Far Side of Fifty said...

There are lots of shrubs and even small trees that get labeled Snowballs..it does look a little like a Hydrangea..but I think it is too early for them to bloom..but you are warmer down there in Iowa:)

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...