Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Suet to Eat........


The European starling really loves the suet feeder.  It may just be the peanuts that is in the suet that he likes but I am not certain. I have had the suet cake out for a while and only the starlings have been interested in it.  This morning as I blog I see I have a downy woodpecker that is enjoying the feeder.  Nuthatches sometimes will peck at it but they don't seem too  impressed with that kind of food.  They would really like me to dump a huge pile of sunflower seeds on the three tiered feeder.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I have one of those feeders; it came with the feeding station so I put it to use. No, the birds didn't want to be bothered with that so now I buy loose suet pellets which they eat alongside the sunflower seeds. Isn't that strange?

I am envious that you had a visit from a downy woodpecker, but we do get the nuthatches.

Hilary said...

Wonderful markings on the starling. We have a couple of these suet feeders.. one in front and one in back. We have to add a new suet cake every week to each. Mostly ours will attract the nuthatches, chickadees, Downy and Hairy woodpeckers. They do short work of the suet.

Anonymous said...

I love the detail of the starling!

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...