Thursday, January 15, 2015

Old Things.....


As I dug through things in the toy cabinet I pulled out these four items.  The value of them is minimal to zero but they all have a history.  The bowling pin of a child's set that came from an attic of a farmhouse.  The globe bank also came from there.  It is amazing how the maps on the bank are there for show and their accuracy is poor.  I tried to find Europe on the globe and finally I found it. Everything was all a blur, one condensed sets of countries among other blurred countries surrounding the area.

The sphere and tin egg came for an old farm sale.  I bought a filthy cardboard box for a quarter, It was a box full of everything including trash and dirt. There were some were good things. Somewhere in the house I have a glass powder box, base and lid.  The lid has a deer on it for the lid handle.  The man's  sale  in which I was attending was of a brother of the Iva and John connection to our family.  He was John's brother. So I got antiques from the brother Horton.  The tin egg is historical but worthless because of the decoration being all worn from the surface. The sphere could be a billiard ball, a white cue ball.  I think it is actually made from ivory as it has vein like lines on it. It is heavy and I really don't know if it is the right size or larger than a cue ball.   As you can see, this is one of those photos where I didn't clear the area. You are getting a very informal shot today with random stuff still on the table surrounding the group ready to be put away in the future. 

I did look up the billiard ball and it was common for them to be made from ivory tusks.  I see that if one can prove they are antiques that they can be sold over the net.  They are of course banned now in these days and I am glad.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

They might be odd things but together they made an interesting picture. I'm in a clearing-out mood but everything I find has a history and so gets put back in the drawer or cupboard.

Jeevan said...

Old things always fascinate me and these are interesting to check. Ivory are hardly made these days

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...