Thursday, July 19, 2012

A small bunch............



This bush now stands above my head.  It is an aronia berry plant that was given to me by the neighbor lady.  She is part Native American and remembers having this fruit as a child.  She bought a few of the plants and gave me one just in case her bushes did not survive. I actually had three bunches of these berries.

I did watch a show about them on pbs and they are very sour.  They need to be mixed with a sweet fruit or they used honey.  My neighbors bushes are smaller than mine but all of her plants did survive.  The birds took her fruit already before she was able to pick them. I assume because it is so dry and they moisture in the berry was just the thing for them.  While looking up the spelling I see people in Iowa make wine from the fruit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I had not heard of these.

Fern Leafed Peony...