Thursday, October 18, 2012

Silver Maple Soars......


The tree is getting to be too big for our house's own good.  I need to take it down.  I have been a diehard activist to keep the very old trees.  The house is 108 years old and the silver maples are old too.  The trees are a part of the history of the town and of the property.

The tallest branch you see standing has withstood 70-80 mile an hour winds  from the west in 1987.  The tornado winds from the southwest didn't seem to phase it six years ago.  The two 20 year old pine trees were snapped off at their bases.  Trees are unpredictable and just when I think we are safe it will come down on our art studio.  Maybe next spring I can come to part with it.



4 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

It's a heartbreaking decision but I guess it would be expensive and messy if it came down in a storm. Beautiful autumn colour on the tree.

I'm delighted to hear you will be a grandfather soon. You'll LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

It is a lovely tree and I know you'll miss it. It's just so expensive and time consuming to have tree damage from a storm.

Christine H. said...

Oh, that is a tough decision, but you wouldn't want it crashing into your house on a dark and stormy night.

Valerie said...

Safety must come first, but what a shame to lose such a magnificent tree. I can feel the indecision.

Dog with Person

     The person looks at her cell phone while the dog leads the way. That style of apartment building has a mansard roof. They are not built...