Sunday, December 15, 2013

Archived Photo of Oldie Things..........


A still life of my older things is shown today. I snapped this a few years back with my old point and shoot. Old things are not useful but yet they give good memories.  If not good memories, one can imagine their use in the days gone by.  The front metal piece with a lid is an inkwell that was to fit into the wooden school desks.  There is a glass liner piece in which ink could be placed. Anyone who sat at those wooden desks spent hours running a pencil around that empty hole as many students had done before them. I found a set of six of these inkwells still packed in a thin wooden box, packet with large sawdust material.  Some of the glass liners were broken but a couple were still  unbroken.

I don't really remember this ink jar as it looks like it had a stopper and not a screw top lid.  It was found in an auction box at an old farmstead.  I remember seeing feather pens sticking out of jars like this but I bet this was for a fountain pen.  Ball point pens were invented when I was young but my dad used a fountain pen to label the back of his pictures when sending them home while being in the second war.

Sleigh bells are brass but the one bell in front is a small one from a toy or a decoration.  It is made from a thin metal which we automatically call tin.  It may not be tin but it is a thin cheap metal.  The tractor comes from the John and Iva connection, found in their toy bucket that sat in a dark place next to their refrigerator. Their converted wood stove sat opposite the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting objects in your photo. I have always enjoyed touring old historic homes, villages. One of the more interesting was the White House of the Confederacy in Montgomery AL. I worked as a secretary for the construction co. who remodeled the state capital building, which was across the street from the historic Jeff Davis house.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh I love those bells:)

Special windows

 The east addition to the hospital has amazing design treatment to match the style of the whole entrance. The reflection of the world is a p...