Saturday, March 15, 2014

Buds and Birds.........


I was out with Button in the backyard yesterday.  Two male cardinals were doing territorial behaviors.  I have never really seen before and yet I have heard them do dueling territorial calls.  I zoomed in to catch the two male cardinals on this branch.  You can see I didn't catch that scene but I was surprised to see the buds coming out on the silver maple tree. I had not noticed before this shot but will see all the mess that will fall and land on the patio and this development continues.




 In a blurry shot you can see the one doing his territorial call.  It is a neat sound that they make.  I do remember one of them was doing the call back when we had a mild warm up, right before our last snow storm.



As you can see in this zoomed in shot that the other was hanging out on the forsythia bush.  I never accomplished the shot of them together.  Afterward, I mentioned to my wife that I should have put the camera on the sports setting so I could get continuous photos without any gap between photos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see the buds on the trees. I haven't seen any cardinals at this house. Only bluebirds, woodpeckers and chickadees.

troutbirder said...

And the songs of their territorial disputes remind us that spring can't be far behind...:)

Linda said...

It's lovely to see buds and birds, Larry. I have yet to photograph a cardinal here in Montreal. I saw one once in a tree in a park, but as soon as I went to get my camera he flew away!

A Colorful World said...

Great pictures...love seeing the cardinal's red against the grasses, etc.

Sharing…..

 I marked some hostas for a friend to let her know which ones she can get new starts from for har new garden spot.