Thursday, April 30, 2009

Flowering bush.....


























I was given this start of this bush from a teacher friend at school. I had just been hired and I believe it was the next year, spring 1977. He gave me a bunch of names and a bucket with all of these different bushes. I still have a Russian olive bush from that batch and this flowering bush. He mentioned flowering almond, but I don't think that this is it. I have planted it in various places on my property and it really has been a good specimen for my property. He has passes away a few years back and I am certain that it is still growing on his old property. It has such a pure white color to it.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

It might possibly be a Mockorange..there are many different varieties of Philadelphus.
Bark Redish orange brown, ..what does the pith look like..pale, white, continuous.. leaves..opposite, simple. Are the flowers fragrant..but then some of the Mockoranges lack that one redeeming quality too..there are lots of different cultivars..but just the plants habit can give it away.."long stiff straight ascending branches may arch with age.."
Hope this helps.. Flowering Almonds are usually pink flowers! :)

Erin said...

Mockorange is my favorite flower, even though it doesn't actually count to most people as a "flower". I can smell a Mockorange a mile away. Kind of heavy, but fresh smell. Very pretty! This doesn't look like the one we had, but if there are different varieties, who knows.

Tall and Short....

 At four in the morning and one is walking the empty hallways, one never knows what the camera might shoot.