Monday, April 27, 2009

Magnolia...

This is my neighbor's magnolia tree. We have a few in town. There is only one variety that survives in Iowa. The tree was planted many years ago by a former owner who worked as a landscaper and grounds keeper for our State Resource Facility north of town. He planted many things and the new owner has slowly removed a lot of his plantings. The magnolia was my personal favorite joke about Denny the owner. He is a nice guy but he just loves to trim stuff. This magnolia was a third bigger and had this wonderful bonsai shape which I think was it's natural shape. Last fall I drove by and there were piles of branches everywhere. He had turned it into a lollipop tree. It is still beautiful and I will try to get closeups when it stops raining around here.

3 comments:

claude said...

Very nice ! I sould love to plant a magnolia in our backyard.
Thank for your avist about my turkey recipe.
My next recipe will be a rabbit with appelwine.

Anonymous said...

Oh my I hate lollipops but have trimmed some things almost like that. I don't know why but think I inherited some of this trim urge from my neighbors. Where I was born (The Hamlet of Gordon) was a small place from yesteryear and people there never cut or trimmed anything, and seldom did more than whip off the seed heads of plantain and buckhorn the mower wouldn't cut. When I moved here, in this new house, there wasn't anything planted. I watched what my new neighbor did and did the same. What a mistake. But I have changed and now pretty much let things grow normally which makes a totally different looking landscape.

Thanks for your visit.

Far Side of Fifty said...

A magnolia in Iowa..how great is that..I envy you! :)

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...