Monday, May 18, 2009

Columbine and wild blue phlox...

When I was young, I lived on a 240 acre farm in southern Iowa. Timber covered about 180 acres of that farm. I was very fortunate to have creeks to play in and timber to hike through.

While I was out there I could find wild phlox and columbine growing wild. I would dig them up and bring them to our house. I planted them on the north side of the house. I bet the columbine is still growing there today, 30 some years later.
The columbine in the photo is one that I purchased at a nursery as it does remind me of our native plants. wild blue phlox was found in the timber near here along the river. Since I planted it a few years back, it has spread naturally among the lily of the valley and an old rose bush. I used the portrait setting on the camera to get it to focus on the plants. I am a slow learner with these automatic cameras. Spring is cold here today but tomorrow we are to have summer heat of 70's and 80's.

2 comments:

claude said...

Very interesting to discover these flowers.
Julia told us the weather is nice in Salt Lake City 80° F. too ! My husband and I hope it will be the same in June.

Linda said...

Hello from Scotland! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm enjoying reading yours and getting to know what's growing with you. Interesting to read of your boyhood plant transplanting!

Reflection