Saturday, May 30, 2009

Iowa State Flower....


The Iowa state flower is this wild rose. It grows in many of the states around us, especially I have seen growing wild in Minnesota. I planted one in my back yard next to the patio and it is very hearty. It spreads by underground roots so I literally have to mow it to keep it under control. If I left it alone it would take the entire yard. I have another old fashioned rose on the property that spreads by roots, but nothing like this wild rose.

I had the sun and the wind to contend with while trying to photograph it. The sun bleaches out the colors and the wind kept my roses moving periodically. Once the wind stopped gusting, I had to hurry and snap it to see if I could get good color and from which angle did it work best for the good picture. I will go out again some evening with low light and see what I can accomplish.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I love this plant, I have some too, I have tried to get rid of them..now I just say..let them bloom!
Light and wind, both no fun to work with, I find early morning, and evening gives me the best color, or a cloudy day..but I love clouds going in and out changing the light too..it is all an experiment! :)

Erin said...

There are several for sale at the Hy-Vee on 86th and Douglas...thoght about picking one up...but I'm addicted and need to stop buying flowers!!! Once our back deck is finished, I can think about planting more.

Reflection