Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tomato plants thriving....


Those straggly plants that were growing in the window have survived and are looking good. I planted them in holes made in black plastic. I still need to do some weeding but I did a no till thing this year.
The history of tomatoes in that garden is that my father-in-law was entertained growing the seeds and I planted them all. So it was nothing to have 70 or more plants out there. Now that he is gone, I created a new plan. I gave an entire tray of thirty plants to a neighbor up the street, ten plants down the street and eight across the street. I planted about twelve for ourselves and have some in pots that are so overgrown in small pots, not being planted. I may just let the die out and do nothing with them. My plants are really way ahead of most this time of the year and in Iowa. Our frost is late so we plant late.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Unfortunately we had a late frost (last week) and many of the tomatoes around the area did not survive... but yes, this one looks in great shape! I just LOVE tomatoes, I eat them right of the vine as if they were apples =)

The Capitol.....

 A shot through a large window creates an unusual yet usual effect. The Iowa State Capital has new gold leaf on its dome.