Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Gourds and Watermelon.....

Some of my fellow blogger friends have either not seen gourds before or haven't seen some of these varieties. Gourds in general are grown purely for decoration. We sell them at our super markets so you can mix them in with a fall flower arrangement or a fall wreath. I guess they are traditionally grown, even though in the early years of our country, large gourds that are dried, were turned into scoops, bowls or ladles. Also we have them to make birdhouses out of them.
As you can see these things have been judged including the watermelon.

8 comments:

claude said...

I like to eat watermelon but I do never buy any because my husband does not like that.

Alan Burnett said...

Thanks Larry. They are quite extraordinary looking things.

Sunny said...

I tried growing some gourds this year, they're not doing as well as I hoped.
I like this picture!
Sunny :)

James said...

They bring back childhood memories. Gourds grew wild by my house so of course all the neighborhood boys would have "gourd fights". Army helmets and flying gourds. Good times. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great picture!
I bought a package of ornamental gourd seeds this year, & planted them all. It's fun to watch all the different varieties that come from the yellow blossoms. I shall take some pics of of mine! :)

The Retired One said...

I always wondered if they were used to eat or just for decoration. They are unusual shapes and colors, aren't they?

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

very interesting combination of gourds..loved your post on the fair..very fun!

Ezhilan said...

I don't know the many types of gourds and watermelons in your photo.Interesting shapes. The double colored gourds are interesting.

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...