Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Foliage......

I could never do a wordless Wednesday blog. I talk too much. Texture, the tactile quality, either visual or actual, helps us fulfill one of our many senses. The water lettuce is very slick looking and it sheds water quickly, but when you touch it, there is definitely a smooth texture. When you toss the little young plants in the water they will flip themselves over just like a rubber duck. First frost and this will all be gone. It takes too much light to be able to bring it inside.
Sage, a rough texture, is the only herb that I grew this year. I bought a new plant but one of my older plants also survived last winter. I like to plant herbs next to my sidewalk paths so that your legs will rub against it as you walk bu and you can smell the herb. This sage will be great for my wife to use in her dressing at Thanksgiving.
We are getting down to 41 degrees tonight here.

6 comments:

Sunny said...

I'm not familar with water lettuce but it sounds like a really interesting plant.
Sage dressing...yum!
Sunny :)

claude said...

In 2003 when we have finished the pond we bought some water lettuces. But the weather was so hot that they died very quickly.
On next spring we will buy some other water plants.

Anonymous said...

Larry,
What a neat idea-to put sage closer to the edge of the sidewalk -I could just smell the sage as you were talking about it. I think I will be moving my sage over next spring.
We are getting cold here too tonight-down below 30
vickie

OiseauBird said...

I like the different nuances of green
and the detail of your pictures

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

burrr, we to are getting the chillier weather. Do you have a pond with this water plants? It is to bad the cold will do them in.

The Retired One said...

I have never heard of water lettuce, but I like the shape for sure.
Our days are now in the 40's and 50's and we have had several frosts at night already. Sigh.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...