Sunday, September 20, 2009

Monarch butterfly......

Do you remember the story of the fisherman that tells one how big the fish was but it got away.? Well, there were many Monarch butterflies and they all got away except this one. When I first bought my property I didn't know about Monarch migrations, but I went out into the yard one afternoon and the entire row of bushes the entire length of my lot was covered with butterflies on their south side. They have taken place most years. Some years one is too busy and can miss seeing anything, but this year we had a large number, not a huge number that were flying south. I could look up into the sky and see six or eight at a time, but the weather is warm, so they were landing in the tops of my trees. I could walk towards the flower gardens and they were dotting around but I could only get one picture and this is it. They say that they land and eat to restore their energy, but I could only muster up this one on the zinnia. It would be ironic if another group goes through and I don't look so foolish, but some of you will believe me.

10 comments:

Sunny said...

Great picture!
I have yet to capture a butterfly! Actually, I haven't seen many around here, but I keep looking!
Sunny :)

Jim said...

Brilliant capture.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Anonymous said...

I believe you- just wish we had that many butterflies go by. You captured this butterfly perfectly.
vickie

Michele said...

A wonderful and clear shot of the butterfly. I have yet to really capture a true butterfly... I only get moths and such.
These Monarchs are amazing insects..they travel over 8000 km per year in North America, the longest and largest insect migration... incredible.

OiseauBird said...

I am so surprise by so long migration...
for fragile butterflies
incroyable nature !
tres belle photo

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

this has been a butterfly free year hear, and I am so unhappy about that. I have butterfly bushes, and no butterflies.

You will be very happy with an Oak Leaf Hydrangea, they do have leaves shaped like those on an oak tree.. they came recommended by a lady at the local nursery, and appear to take more sun then the blue regular ones.

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

By the way.. I meant to say that is a wonderful shot!-

The Retired One said...

AWESOME! this could be my favorite picture that you have posted thus far. Loved it!
How wonderful that you got to see a Monarch migration. I would love that!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I only saw a few this summer. I have put a butterfly cage/Monarch catapiller raising thingy on my Christmas list. I have heard that some years the migration is a sea of orange, I have never seen it..so you are very lucky!

OiseauBird said...

hi, I watch the picture of your yellow kiddy, it is cute and looks very kind.

Do you see the butterfield migration ?
At this moment do you have a lot of Monarch
Butterfield in your garden ?

Reflection