Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Rocks and trees......

The natural beauty of a dead tree contrasts to the living trees around it. Weathering of the trees along the ocean in the winter doesn't seem so severe as I have seen on the north shore of Lake Superior. The ocean must tone down the temperature along the shore so there is less destruction of the forest along the coast.
I have drawn and painted many rocks in my artworks and I am always aware of the compositions among these large boulders. I like the different colors of granite all along the shoreline. It becomes an informal pattern of design rather than a landscape so to speak.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Those rocks are from mountains and the trees are just fantastic to stake out roots where they do. Nice post.

OiseauBird said...

I like the different colors and textures of the naturel stones.
What a creative idea for you to paint this rocks! Do you have pictures about your artworks?

Gigi Ann said...

I like the picture of the trees. I took a picture of a dead tree near out house a few years ago, and the next day it fell over. Had I waited one more day, it would have been to late.

I will have to give rocks and stones a look, see, next time I see a group of them together. Remember in the 60s, when they were selling pet rocks in the stores and some people bought them! Your picture brought back that memory. LOL...

The Retired One said...

We were just up in Copper Harbor and took a hike along the shoreline...we were remarking about the scraggly trees there and how they can't grow in such a cold place very well...but there were healthy ones there too. Some of your Maine scenes remind me a little of Lake Superior shorelines.

Far Side of Fifty said...

A sturdy old tree, I do like trees..I find them very interesting.. Rocks too..:)

Balance of Strong Colors....

  The Rembrandt kind of tulips are just now starting to bloom. The colors are so vibrant.