Thursday, November 12, 2009

An everyday scene with meaning.....



This is a shot I took in our art gallery. My wife's oak commode is our entry piece when customers come into the shop. I had taken the shot as the ceramic donkey pulling a basket on wheels has a plant that has really done well in it. It was my Mom's planter and she always had a vine of some sort, sitting it on a large doily. In a blog in the past, I shared how I hadn't seen this planter for twenty years or more so I was surprised to pull it out of a cupboard at my parent's house.

Also on the commode is a partial view of a magazine my wife had been published in a while back. The magazine was called Animal World and her painting of the fox is on the front cover. She was the featured artist for this issue.
The lamp was one that I had given my parents thirty years ago and I am glad to have it in our home. I like the hand painted design on it.
There are business cards laying there, some that should be put back in their holder, as I see they have fallen out.
The framed flower painting was one that was created by one of my teacher friends, Steve, a few years back. He died of cancer and his wife had the painting reduced and put on thank you cards. We immediately framed it in his memory.
What does a photo mean, not much, but the things involved always have a history. Sometimes it is just common stuff and it can be treated as such. A photo also presents itself as a reflection of a scene, many parts are sometimes required. You can be sure that those in the future will look at things and want to know what is with all that stuff?

10 comments:

claude said...

I come back this afternoo, Larry.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Good morning L.D. nice photo and history of your picture grouping.

FlowerLady

Sunny said...

I love the concept of your picture, the history of things that are special to us. I noticed your commode in another of your posts; it is very much like the one we have that belonged to my mother-in-law, and it's a very special piece of furniture to me.
Your last remark made me smile, I recently said to my husband that all the things we treasure will probably be junk after our day...I hope not!
Sunny :)

claude said...

Nice place to receive your wife's customers. Tha lamp is very beautiful. Nice decoration too.
Yesterda I read your previous post Larry but had some problems to write a com. It seems my computer wanted to be in holidays.

Anonymous said...

L.D.,
I think the things you treasure so much will be remembered by your children. You would be surpised. They'll say Dad bought this for Mom so many years ago and remember with a smile.
They are beautiful things.
vickie

Alan Burnett said...

Nice picture, nice description ... but I still haven't seen any of your paintings.

GLOGIRLY said...

I love your thoughts about photography and what is special and meaningful, Larry. Memories are a wonderful thing, but without a photo as a reminder those memories can lose some of their clarity.

And I can totally appreciate photos of seemingly ordinary things that underneath become so special. One of my favorite photos that my husband took is a close up shot of an iron handrail. The handrail isn't particularly beautiful. It's got chipped paint and there's snow and ice on it. But it's the handrail by the front steps of the south MInneapolis duplex where we first met. And it's on those steps, right by that handrail, that he later asked me to marry him.

Ezhilan said...

Beautiful things becomes more interesting by the stories behind them! The information gives life to them!

L. D. said...

I don't know how many people return to blogs, but I just discovered that the new commands, which give me a choice on size of picture, can be deceiving. I selected large and the preview allowed me to see the whole picture but when it published, it cropped off the right side.

The Retired One said...

How true.
We go to a ton of estate sales and auctions...I always wonder about the people who owned the stuff, how many people owned the articles I purchased before me, etc.
Many times the families let family photos be sold, too. It always makes me sad that they don't treasure them and keep them in their families.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...