Saturday, November 7, 2009

Just another day on the road......

I am casually driving on Highway 34 on a four lane road in town. I look up ahead and there is a buggy being pulled by horses. I think fast and pull off into a bank parking lot and get my camera turned on and ready.
I pull back onto the road, traveling in the same direction again as the horses and buggy. I put my windows down, both sides thinking I will get a shot of these guys one way or another. A grown man is chasing horses down the street in his Ford Taurus. Did I mention that traffic was heavy and that this was going to be difficult?
Once I am back on the road, the buggy and horses has stopped in the left land, and they are waiting to take a turn. I can't follow them as I am in the wrong lane. I drive ahead and get in the left lane a block ahead of them and I am determined to circle back to see them pass by at a further intersection. I should get a picture for sure.





No such luck, as I have circled, they are taking an alley back, a block away, tracking away from me. That guy has been speeding with his horses I am sure. I thought I was never going to catch up but I could see them at a distance. So I followed, and fortunately the guy turned into a gravel alley, drives down it, turns around and comes back at me. He pulls them over and stops right in front of me and starts to tie his horses to a tree. I drive past them, turn around, come back and I stop the car. It is worth a try for the good shots. I greeted the man and told him that I admired his horses,can I take pictures of your horses? He said, yes, and my mission was accomplished.
He was a very nice man but not drsssed as an Amish man.




Southern Iowa has had a lot of Amish move in further south of herw but not in this area, but there are a few. There are also Mennonites that live in the area. They don't have the dress of an Amish but they do live lives more conservative than us. I am believing that he was a Mennonite. It is neat to see them but I never thought I would get to walk up to talk with them and get to take pictures.




The man told me that the two horses have been a team for 11 years, that he had started driving them when they both were two years old. I thanked him for letting me visit with him and share his horses with me. I snapped as quickly as I could and didn't put him into the picture. Who would have thought that I would have even seen such a thing on a way through a very modern city. I am really glad that I was able to meet him and his horses. Hey, always, and I mean always, take your camera with you, everywhere. It was a good day.

7 comments:

claude said...

Another way of life, Larry. An interesting encounter. I saw some Amish womens in Yellowstone Park. They came to see the Oldfaithful Geyser.
I like very much the movie "Witness".

Anonymous said...

It took me a minute then I realized you were driving! The horses are so pretty -looks like he takes such good care of them. Michigan is getting more Amish or Menonite people also.
vickie

Sunny said...

You had luck on your side for sure, these are really great pictures.
I take my camera everywhere, in fact my husband says he's surprised that I don't sleep with it under my pillow!
Have a good weekend.
Sunny :)
P.S. I love surprises!

Les Barr said...

Good Post. Those horse and buggy's are a common site down in Lancaster County not far from me. See my Post "Something To Laugh At." You gotta watch out for the "Exhaust."

Les

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Great photos and story. How neat that the horses have been a team for 11 years.

FlowerLady

The Retired One said...

You are so funny...you went through so much just to get these shots.
I love it.
I probably would have done the same, much to my husband's embarrassment! ha

Far Side of Fifty said...

You were lucky! Here they are Amish and dislike cameras very much, I hate to stalk them for photographs..I figure if they are on a public road they are fair game:)

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...