Friday, November 27, 2009

Not at my house.......



No, we didn't have Thanksgiving at our house.  The dining room table has been sent to the basement, and the living room is full of spare furniture. This doesn't look so bad now after this picture was taken.  I put the last coat of sealer on the floor today.  I thought the above photo qualified as a little edgy and surreal in subject matter.
Fortunately the garbage men were willing to take my dumpster full of fallen old plaster with them. I had bags of old ceiling squares that are now gone. Above this fake ceiling, created by a previous owner, one foot above, is the actual ceiling.  When I opened this up, I found that the old plaster ceiling had collapsed down onto this grid. Almost a third of it had given way.  I spent an entire afternoon breaking it up and putting it into the dumpster, and two nights with the effects of asthma, because of the awful dirt that was up there.



Here is another gutsy photo of a floor.  I may like this floor someday, but not today.  I need to get some steel wool, fine grade, and some paste wax and put my antique furniture finish on to this floor.  If the floor weren't so shiny you could think we were looking at a book about abandoned towns in Colorado.  I finished the sealing of the floor, three coats, at 10:45 am today, so in 24 hours I can put the final touches to the work of art. 

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Holy Moly! You have been a busy man! Don't you just hate when a project turns into an even bigger project.
You will have to share the finished result. Don't forget to wear a mask!
Sunny :)

Anonymous said...

L.D.,
You sure have been working hard. I love a wood floor. I remember Mom used to have all wood floors until carpet became the fashion.
Beautiful. Be careful with all that dust.
vickie

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a project! I bet it does look better now..you are doing great Larry! The floor looks great..very pretty..well worth restoring:)

GLOGIRLY said...

That is a HUGE project!
Way too much work for a Thanksgiving weekend. Did you not read the Napping chapter in the Thanksgiving manual? Yellow Kitty is not the only one who gets napping privileges you know. Once napping is complete, Yellow Kitty can help buff out the wax on the floor. : )

mew!
Katie
(Glogirly's cat)

Peony and Tulips....

  The flowers are getting a gentle rain this morning.  It  makes the soil and sub soil happier as our drought is less these days.