Monday, December 7, 2009

Old photos of the season to come......



This is my picture of my antique replicas tree.  This is last years photo, my pre-macro era. It will be interesting to see what I can do with this  type of thing this year.  My bubble lights are something that I was always fascinated with and I ran into a sale on them after Christmas and they became mine.
I saw my first bubble lights at the age of 3, 1953,  at a country school house where they were having a party for my three brothers where they attended school.  I can still hear the tinkling sounds that they made. 



Another shot from the tree last year.  I am still whining about  the lack of integrity of the production of ornaments.  A glass blown ornament should be glass blown.  They are now being sold as a cast plastic ornament with the metallic paint, pretending to be glass blown.  Obviously if I bought Radko made ornaments that will be still glass, but that is not the game I am playing. I was collecting the dime store type originals.  I found a neat set that was the 12 days of Christmas, and I think they were a hollow metallic material, painted to look like glass blown.  
I will be starting to put up our trees with my wife soon.  We display one large tree and then three smaller ones for our own enjoyment.  When we get old and tired, we will quit putting up so many trees. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

L.D.,
I love your ornaments especially the bubble lights. The older ornaments to me are the best. Your house most be so pretty with four trees lighting the season.
vickie

Far Side of Fifty said...

We have bubble light too, my husband had them in the early 1950's also. We got a set a few years ago at a dime store. We don't keep them up all the time, I am afraid that the tubes will break and that liquid will go all over.. Chance wags his tail quite a bit! I am anxious to see your trees..four trees all together..I am impressed:)

claude said...

Beautiful ornments, Larry !
When I was little girl we decorated the Xtree with glass ornements. We broken some year after year.
Now I have plastic ones and the colors are beautiful.

Sunny said...

Your ornaments are so pretty. My husband and I were just talking about old tree ornaments at the weekend and reminiscing about bubble lights. Sadly, nothing seems to be made like it used to be.
Your home must be very festive with all your trees.
Sunny :)

Alan Burnett said...

That is a great collection of Christmas baubles you have there. I look forward to pictures of your tree this year.

Linda said...

Larry, I was so intrigued by your ornaments story (and your photos bring back my childhood too, down to the tinkling sound the ornaments made on the Christmas tree) that I had a look for any European suppliers of hand-blown ornaments. I found this company, Krebs Glas Lauscha, which was one of the original makers of this type of ornament in Germany, subsequently exported to America. You may not be into paying export prices, but the ornaments are still being made today.

http://www.krebslauscha.de/shop/e_en/lauscha-glas-creation

I had a look round our German market, but the stalls have wood and painted glass rather than anything as refined as the ones you're looking for. I guess the clientele in a British German market is not into collectibles!

Ezhilan said...

Nice collection of eye catching ornaments. Looking forward to the new Christmas photos.

Bouquet