Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Big trike.....



Big wheels were the thing for my boys to play with and they would wear the plastic wheels down on them so they would have to get a new one.

My brother, who was older than me by three years rode a trike this size and I  of course rode a small one.  They were both used, I suppose they were purchased for the set of two older brothers or came from a farm sale.  We had gravel driveways and dirt roads to ride them on so we didn't really wear them out as they were not that fun to ride.

My youngest son is just like his dad in grabbing hold of gold mine items.  This was in his grandmother's basement and he had to have it.  Right after I had clean out the basement a couple of years ago, he brought it home plus furniture, as he was moving to Maine.

I don't want it to weather but I would like to use it as a garden sculpture in a flower garden.  Does anyone know if I can spray a clear finish on it to keep it from weathering in the summer? I will bring it in each fall but I would like to display it.

7 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

No Idea Larry..but it is a great idea..it will make a unique garden sculpture:)

Ruthlynn said...

Howdy, it is very neat and worth restoring. Here are a few links that might help you:
http://www.tricyclefetish.com/blog/2009/09/questions-about-restoring-grandmas-tricycle/
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/260027/how_to_restore_an_old_tricycle.html?cat=25

claude said...

It will be a nice garden decoration.
I learnt to ride bike on my grand grand mother's one.

Valerie said...

I hope you can protect it, Larry. It's too nice to let the elements destroy it. I can imagine it will look very nice in a flower garden. Don't forget to show us the pictures when it's installed.

L. D. said...

No one has mentioned it yet, but I bet I could wax it with boat wax to give it the same protection that boats have. I could even wax the spokes and rubber to keep it good. The thing is actually over 60 years old or more.

Prospero said...

Hi Larry. Darn nice bike!

Stephanie said...

How about a heavy paste wax. Whoops, ya beat me to it. I don't like to read comments until I've commented... Stifles my creativity!

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...