Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dried flower bouquet.

Sepia Saturday is a wonderful thing for us who participate as we find old photos of family and share what we know about them.  I had been covering my dad for quite some time because I could use the old WW 2 photos that are already on my computer. 

I decided to expand and went digging in the mom's picture's from her funeral presentation photos. I was going to be lazy and just snap a shot of her graduation photo in the frame. Then I thought well it would be better to get the clearer picture.  It was difficult to get to the photo out of the frame as there was a  device like a trap door in the back. It was an old frame and as I opened it up there was a packet of dried flowers. The bouquet was folded in wax paper and placed in the back.

My mom graduated in 1937 and I wonder if my mom even remembered the flowers were put in there for storage. That would mean that they are about 73 years old.



There are three  or more possibilities for the flowers.
1.  They were a bouquet from a graduation event, which I am not sure what they would have done back there to celebrate a graduation.
2. They could be from a boyfriend that I found out about at a reunion last summer.  I had heard of him but didn't know that he had the same middle name as I had. She did not marry him.
3. They could be from a bouquet from a funeral for a baby girl that she lost in 1951.  She didn't get to go to whatever kind of funeral that they held for her.  Maybe it was just a graveside service, but she could have pressed that and saved it in her photo frame.  I was born just the year before and I do remember her showing me a ribbon from that funeral.
4. They could have been a bouquet from her wedding to dad, but that was in the winter, Dec. 21st, so I don't think that is even a possibility.

Any way I am glad to find it. I think I will make a shadow box for the flowers and frame them. I will have to decide whether light will destroy it or if it can be done.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is fascinating about the flowers being there all these years. They obviously were very special to her at some time. I look forward to seeing the shadow box or memory box that you will make for these. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Mysterious flowers, indeed...and at first glance I thought your Mom resembled Myrna Loy a bit. Glad you found the flowers but maybe she just wanted to press them? I too have found similar but do not possess the books :(

Martin said...

A stirring moment of discovery, as is always the case when such intimate details are revealed. Something special to treasure Larry.

Sunny said...

What a treasure to find. Whatever they represented must have been important to your Mom in order for her to have preserved them. I look forward to seeing how you frame them.
Sunny :)

Stephanie said...

Ah, a mystery. Guess that means you could choose the scenario you like best! I enjoyed the photos of your mother - and her story. She was fortunate to get an education.

Valerie said...

I love intrigue, Larry, you could go on forever trying to decide on the reason for saving the flowers. But the secret will probably remain where it is.

The Retired One said...

What a sweet and touching find that you found there hidden behind the photo..her secret will remain hers for eternity as to what significance those flowers had to have been hidden away like that....

L. D. said...

I did think of one more option. The year she graduated, her father passed away. She could have pressed them and placed them there for safe keeping.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I think they were roses..one was red, others were white, the one strange flower I cannot identify. I think they were from your baby sisters funeral..that is just a guess..I have kept lots of my old corsages and pressed them..I would definately have kept flowers from a funeral I could not attend...only a guess, from a Mothers point of view..I would have tucked them away some place for safe keeping close to me..and what better place than behind this lovely photo:)

Delwyn said...

Hi Larry

I loved this personal story of yours and also love the way that I can share this touching anecdote through the power of this blog communication network we have forged.

You have glanced a very special emotion of your mother's that has given her another dimension...as if you have seen into her soul...lovely...

Happy days

Tall and Short....

 At four in the morning and one is walking the empty hallways, one never knows what the camera might shoot.