Monday, February 1, 2010

Old Trees.......





I don't know the exact age of the tree but the house was built in  1903.  There were five old silver maples on the property when I bought it 34 years ago. I have lost two of them and there was evidence where the one that fell on the kitchen before I move in found in the back yard.









My neighbors house is a twin reversed sister of my house and they have only two silver maples left in their yard.




When I first bought the property, my dad pointed out the free growing ash tree in my bushes.  I transplanted it 33 years ago and it never stopped growing.  Fifteen years ago, it split and I had to wire it  together. The left side is actually  the main sprouting of the main tree, and it grew a branch out to balance it.

9 comments:

Jimmy said...

Darn ice storms.

Sunny said...

Larry, these pictures are so beautiful. The icy branches look like fine lace.
It's fascinating to see the same tree grow and develop over the years.
Keep warm.
Sunny :)

Kat Mortensen said...

These are gorgeous photos! It is such a paradox, isn't it--that such beauty can be wrought from such fragility?
I love the Ash trees. My Mountain Ash is my favourite (and the favourite of my garden inhabitants).

Kat

Anonymous said...

Great photos of the trees. The house I grew up in had a huge pecan tree that had been planted there when another home was on the property. I suspect by now that tree is close to 100 years old and the business that occupies the home now tells me they still pick up pecans every Autumn!
I enjoyed your photography very much today.

Stephanie said...

Nice tree shots with the lacy effects of brrr cold weather. Is that a new bird picture on the right - or did I just miss it before?

Gigi Ann said...

Lovely pictures of the frosty trees.

Kat Mortensen said...

Hey Larry! Check out my latest haiku here: http://katkigo.blogspot.com/2010/02/haiku-37-winter.html

I think you'll enjoy it.

Kat

P.S. I see you love Fiddler on the Roof. I do too. In fact, I just taped pvr'd it on Turner Classics. My favourite scene is when Tevye's with his daughter at the train station. Oh, and of course the nightmare with Fruma Sarah! (sp?)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Love your old trees..I am a planter..someday I want to go to all the places I have planted trees. That could be interesting! I just ordered 500 White Pine Seedlings to plant in the spring along with my brothers(all our property joins) In 30 years they will be beautiful:)

The Retired One said...

Love,love, LOVE those old, huge, gnarled trees, and especially with the snow on them!

Blurry Blue Cup Day.....

 It is Monday and I am a little blurry eyed today. It is fitting then my blue cup is blurred a little because it is in low light. I was too ...