Monday, February 15, 2010

Store bell......


I am beginning to just love my camera.  It isn't the top of the line, for sure, but that makes it my challenge to get the job done in spite of that reason.  On my other blog, I have a box full of things and this bell was in there. I hate it that I don't know the history of this bell.  I am really mentally bothered about that as I didn't think my memory would start to lose things.  You are saying," well with all the junk that you have, no wonder you don't remember." You are right.

The bell is like the ones that use to hang on a suspended piece of metal and it would chime when a store door opened. If my memory is right on this one, it was attached to the back of the door and it would spring up and down because of movement of the door. Maybe too it had a striker that it had hitting it as the door opened, I just don't know.  It has a different sound because it has two ball clappers hanging inside of it.  A photo of that is on my other blog. The sound almost reminds me of the sound the old cash registers made when they would crank their handle to open the drawer.

Time isn't an enemy but it is always a factor. I should have had it polished before I took this shot.  I am going to try and polish this brass bell  along with the sleigh bells that I have also in the box.  Vinegar and salt is an antiquer's old recipe for cleaning brass.  A very soft steel wool will help as long as it doesn't scratch the metal.

6 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh Larry you crack me up...you do have lots of stuff..maybe it will come to you one of these days. It is a good thing you are blogging about some of your treasures..because those stories will go on!! :)

Alan Burnett said...

I can see why you love your camera as that it is a particularly stunning shot.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photograph. I can remember as a kid some of the businesses in town had these. Our local 5 & 10 store had the type of cash register you describe too.

Gigi Ann said...

I remember the bells as we went in different stores. If I worked there I think it would have drove me crazy, all the bell ringing.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I kind of like it all rusty and lost looking...

The Retired One said...

I will have to try that recipe on some brass we have here!

Blurry Blue Cup Day.....

 It is Monday and I am a little blurry eyed today. It is fitting then my blue cup is blurred a little because it is in low light. I was too ...