Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Madison County Courthouse, Winterset, Iowa........

 I didn't take this photo.  My brother did back in March, 2000.  It was among my mom's piles of photos that I am sorting.  We have a lot of older courthouses, one in each of our 99 counties. My home county courthouse was torn down and it actually is a modern 1957 design, with lots of windows and flat roof.

It is neat how we designed buildings in the 1880's with Palladio design, using columns and Roman arches and an impressive portico  with the same styling.  Our Dallas County court house has a large clock in it's portico that has a face on all fours sides. The clock in this portico is a small one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive building. The Dallas County court house's clock sounds very handsome.

Alan Burnett said...

Yes, indeed it is a beautiful building. But that clock is just a little too small. It looks as if you need to make a trip to Dallas County to photograph the courthouse there so we can compare the two.

Valerie said...

One of my favourite films is Bridges of Madison County, and now I've seen a bit more of the palce. It's a grand building

Larry said...

I always enjoy seeing the court houses in the various counties as we travel in Iowa! Larry

claude said...

Hello Larry !
Beautiful building
Over he some new modern courthouses are built to replace the old ones. I prefer the architecture of the old ones.

L. D. said...

Yes, Alan, tomorrow you will see a big clock. The challenge is on for the big and small controversial size thing. Get a ruler.

Reflection