Sunday, April 18, 2010

A study of depth........


As a teacher of painting,  I would teach how sometimes as we paint compositions we need to create depth by using overlapped shapes.  Also as one paints the foreground, it is in sharp focus and clearer in color.  As one follows back into a painting the shapes are to become softer and grayer in value and in less focus.  As you look at this photo, start at the front and work back slowly, onc can see how each flower head changes and recedes back to full blur.  Things do get smaller as you go back into a composition also.
Just an accident that the camera created it this so well, but I will take the credit for noticing it as a perfect example of depth.

7 comments:

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, always glad to see a fellow Iowan blogging. I visited all 4 of your blogs, very nice paintings and photos, love the old button hook.

Sunny said...

It really is a perfect example and very lovely too.
Sunny :)

Delwyn said...

thank you teacher Larry, lovely daffies today...


Happy days

Gigi Ann said...

I am not an artist, but thanks for the nice lesson in creating depth. The flowers are lovely, and smell so good as well.

The Retired One said...

As they say in the DSLR world...great Bokeh in that photo! ha

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh I wish you had been my art teacher..I might have learned something!! This is a great photo that shows depth..and in a drawing or painting it is something I really struggle with. Perhaps it is my Finnish(ed) brain:)

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I love the effect, just as my eyes see it, lol. Recently had some lovely photos taken of my kittens by a couple who are adopting one and they have a photography business and I loved how crisp the close up of their faces were and how out of focus the distance was...just like with the daffodils. I wll post those pix soon, as you visit my blog often and you would enjoy them :-)

Reflection