Saturday, May 15, 2010

Volunteer Maple Tree....


In my flower bed I have these two volunteer maple trees.  Their new leaves look more like fall leaves instead of spring new growth.


They actually are silver maple trees which I have four large ones growing on my property already.  I like them for their age and size but I won't start any new ones on the lot as I would prefer a maple that is a harder wood.  Silver maples like to loose branches or main large parts of itself during strong
winds.

 Day 2*****
As a footnote to this, Abe Lincoln is right, this is not a silver maple leaf.  I have a red hard maple tree on the opposite side of the house that is six years old. Apparently the wind or birds have brought them around to the other side of the house. I am so use to silver soft maple trees coming up all over the property that I didn't even think it unusual except it was red.

6 comments:

claude said...

I have one, Larry. Your photos are very beautiful. This tree have so beautiful leaves.
Have a nice week-end !

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful leaf color. We have one Japanese Maple and often find "babies" in the flower beds. I have been successful transplanting several to more desirable locations.

Valerie said...

Very pretty colouring on the new growth, I would be delighted if I had one of those in my garden.

Anonymous said...

The silver maple is a deeply notched leaf. I think this is a hard maple leaf. Silver Maple Leaf Notice the difference is how the leaf is notched.

The Retired One said...

Wow, they do look like already-waxed autumn leaves...gorgeous.

Far Side of Fifty said...

A beautiful little Maple Tree..sought after for its beautiful wood..it is a very nice seedling!:)

Tall and Short....

 At four in the morning and one is walking the empty hallways, one never knows what the camera might shoot.