Sunday, July 4, 2010

Field lilies........


In the country you can drive along gravel roads and see the field lilies blooming.  If you think about it you can place the source from which they came.  It has spread down the ditch of an old farmstead where nothing is left of the property.  It could be down the hill along a big interstate and the house that sat on the top of the hill, but was removed because of the road construction, was it's source.  New road construction actually spreads the plant as in my wife's former home as the grading of the ditches has spread it way past from it's original site.  I found my start of this plant on a gravel road east of Woodward,  in the ditch far from where any sight of inhabitants once were. 
Once you have the plant, it then has you.  It spreads and destroys your other plants and if you don't pull it out like a dandelion, it will choke out hostas and phlox and Asiatic lilies.  I have to revisit my many beds of this and start again to reduce it's growth.
I really like the flower of it and it's healthy foliage. I discovered last night while out with the small dog, that it closes up its blooms at night. I think I remember noticing that from last summer but had forgotten the fact.
As a flower to photograph, it is superb.  I love it's many rich colors and it's fancy petals. Some of you may call it the local name of Ditch Lily but whatever you call it, it is a great bloom.

6 comments:

Valerie said...

I learn something new every day and am wondering how such a beautiful bloom can be so destructive.

Anonymous said...

I think these are nice too. Of all the many daylilies I have, these are the ones most requested by our neighbors!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

That is a wonderful lily, and how great that it dots your countryside with it's loveliness. I wouldn't be able to resist bringing one home either.

Have a nice 4th of July.

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Your description of the lilies of the fields and side ditches reminds me of our areas. We have this color along the roads, growing wild. Some people call them Ditch Lilies.

Martin said...

What a great splash of colour to start the week with, Larry. Beautiful!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your ditch lilies are beautiful..it seems as though they are hard to contain..rather like running away from home..LOL:)

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...