Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tilt a Whirl...........


I was outside working in the heat all morning mowing yard. In the afternoon when I went back out the heat index was at 103 degrees F.  I snapped this of the porch chair on the way out to catch a butterfly and it is a crooked shot. I couldn't crop it and correct it.

I know I am abusing the chair.  I will pull it in and get it sanded and restored this fall.  The box cost me a buck from an antique place at Silver Bay, Minnesota.  The vine is wild hops.  It is a weed but when it looks this good I have to  leave it be.  I see my FIL's boots are still on the porch. He's been gone now over a year and I bet I will leave them there forever.

The reason I was in a hurry and snapped a slant was that I was returning to another hops vine that had a wonderful butterfly with perfect sets of circle on it's inside wings.  I of course didn't get it.  It was feeding on the hops flowers when I left to get the camera.   I may get another chance to see it as I am not pulling those vines if it attracts that butterfly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll catch a shot of that butterfly today Larry. The vignette with the chair is very welcoming. Great photo. When the carnival would come to town when I was a kid, I remember riding the Tilt a Whirl!

I just came from a blog with a photo of a train mural @
http://carlettasroundthebend.blogspot.com/2010/08/midweek-blues-train-mural.html

Valerie said...

A touch of old and a bit of new life makes a cracking picture, no change could have improved it. I like it very much.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love that vignette and love the 'chippy' chair as is and the box is wonderful and the boots add whimsy and hold memories of your late FIL.

It's always depressing to miss a butterfly shot. They just can't wait until you get back with camera in hand and snap off some pictures.

FlowerLady

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like the chair..certainly a person is allowed one old chair to be a photo prop and to be a home for vines and old boots:)

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I love this photo and am so pleased you caught it . Meanwhile , I'm sure the butterfly'll be back .

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...