Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Final Harvest.........


It was a very bad year for my tomatoes. They didn't like all the rain and they didn't have enough heat to make them grow big. I had a variety of seed that I had started from my leftover box of seeds. The only new ones were the grape shaped tomatoes, which were actually an heirloom variety that I picked up at a building store. I think it came from the seed savers in northern Iowa. The banana peppers were not successful either as I only harvested about five peppers from two plants.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may not have had good weather for tomatoes and peppers but the photo sure is nice! I only got one cherry tomato off my plant! I do enjoy searching the internet for heirloom seeds during the winter months though and hoping that the next year is THE year!!!

Betsy Brock said...

I love those little grape tomatoes!

D said...

Hi Larry,

A few of those green tomatoes sliced and dipped in a little flour/corn meal mix and fried in some olive oil would be a mighty nice treat. ;)
You may only have had a few hot peppers, but they certainly are nice sized ones.

I feel fortunate that we had nearly a whole week of warmer temps (lol), otherwise we would have had little harvest. Sure hope next summer is better for us all.

claude said...

Bad year also for my tomatoes, Larry. We planted them in May and in June the weather was cold and in July too hot. They got red very late and now they are a lot but they are green. The same for my grappe tomatoes.

Valerie said...

It's a fine picture, sort of mouthwatering.

jennyfreckles said...

A lovely photo, even if the harvest was poor.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Our Tomato's were non tomatoes..it was a waste of time this year..the ones we did get which were very few tasted terrible. Our garden was a miserable failure this year. I got one squash the size of an apple.. So I would say you did pretty good! :(

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...