Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Christmas Train........


My Uncle Cecil was my dad's oldest brother.  He was a fireman on the train most of his life.  He was the one who tended the fire to the steam engines by adding the coal to the burner.   After the steam locomotives were not used, he remained the fireman, which meant he was second in command to the main engineer. 
He was deaf in his latter years from riding on those trains all of his life.  I can still hear his with Bertha saying not to speak to him because he just can't hear a thing you'd be wasting your time.  She loved to talk so she would smile when she said that, so she could do all the talking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's cute about Bertha enjoying monopolizing the conversation from Cecil. My grandparents were much the same! I really like the train and I am sure it brings back lots of nice memories for you.

claude said...

You know, Larry, when I was a little girl, we went to vacation to the countryside and we took an old train like that.
Now I take the TGV, our high speed train.
MERRY CHRISTMAS !

Doowmée said...

Just For You Friend
The virtual, and canvas,
I wish you warm
New Year celebrations,
A 2011, very successful,
Health and "inspiration for your blogs.
I kiss you and tell you:
"Long live the Christmas and New Year,
Healing, work, happiness for all yours!
Regards
Doowmée

Valerie said...

Enjoyable family story.

You are full of ideas, Larry. Hubby has some model train engines, never thought of bring them out at Christmas.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...