Monday, December 13, 2010

Glitzy Gold.......


I like to look up the old Christmas ornaments in antique catalogs or in books about the history of ornaments.  It is fun to see what  shapes existed at first when they started to make the glass blown ones.  Some of the shapes included mushroom shapes, acorns, house shapes and this particular shape.

I bought this in the 70's so it is over 30 years old.  It came in a box of eight different shapes and at the time I thought they were just nice to look at, but now I know that the whole batch were based on traditional designs. One can age some of the ornaments by the hanger as they were made cheaply at first with thin metal.

6 comments:

Christine H. said...

I love old ornaments too. Well, for that matter I also love new ones. I have a recent one of a tiger that is quite lovely, but some of my favorites are the classic, simple old ones.

Alan Burnett said...

As I have said elsewhere - you find photographic beauty in the simplest of places.

Valerie said...

I remember the ornaments having very thin wire hooks ... I used to get in trouble for twisting them out of shape.

Anonymous said...

Nice old but shiny ornament.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful! You know I love the old ones..guess I better get a move on and get my tree up! :)

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

reminds me of a Chivas Regal bottle...

Monday...vinca and tulips