Saturday, February 12, 2011

Poor man's marbles..........


As I have found myself in a rut sharing about round things I will share this one last photo of marbles.  My house was built in 1903 and as I would dig in the garden I will pick these up out of the soil.  I really didn't know what they were  at first and but I knew they were hard and didn't break.

As the years went by I did discover that these are the earlier bisque fired marbles.   In pottery, when greenware is fired for the first time,  the result is bisque pottery.  That is raw unglazed clay, fired once. 

These marbles were the early toys of boys and girls in this country.  I am sure they were less expensive to buy rather than the glass ones that followed. Some child that lived in this house in it's early years of inhabitants played with these spheres of clay.  They pretty much are the same size as the glass marbles of today. As you can see one of these is a larger shooter marble.

Just as the glass marbles wash ashore along the beaches, it is said that the bisque marbles also wash up on the shore.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Gosh, I didn't realise anything came before glass marbles. I also didn't know that glass marbles were washed ashore ... from where, I wonder. Thanks for the lesson. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

I've always loved marbles and always enjoyed hearing daddy talk about playing marbles when he was a kid in the early 1920's. Thanks for sharing these little treasures left behind by an earlier resident of your beautiful home Larry.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I saw one of these in your jar the other day..very interesting..I learned something new today..Thanks! :)

Sunny said...

Those are really cool, and what fun to find while digging in the garden.
☼ Sunny

Bouquet