Monday, April 11, 2011

Five gallons.....



I have a few of these old crockery jugs. I actually have more that I take note of as I sort of lost interest in collecting them. I wouldn't let anyone throw them away so I would tote them home.  I know of another small one that I don't display.  I remember that I had to clean creosote from it and that was a lot of work. It had a corn cob in it for a cork and came from John and Iva Horton.  It was in the garage on a shelf next to their 1957 Ford Fairlane.  The Fairlane was pinkish tan in color and was a hardtop. It was a very classy looking car for old people to drive on their trips out west.

Five gallons is the message that the five is depicting.  Vinegar, water, homemade corn liquor and molasses would be just a few things that could have been stored in them.

This one jug was a gift to my dad from one of his distant cousins Galen and his wife June.  They brought it to him on his birthday as a gag gift.  It was really a nice gag gift as far as I was concerned.
That is a seam you are seeing and it is not a crack  on the side of the jug.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these old jugs. I also love reading the memories associated with them. Thanks for sharing Larry.

Christine H. said...

That's a very elegant 5! We have a number of these jugs too. I like them, but I'm never sure what to do with them.

Lo said...

what a gorgeous jug and a scrumptious calligraphic "5". Where do you find them?

Alan Burnett said...

It may be just a 5 gallon jug, but I agree with Christine, what a 5.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great looking jug..I like them too..but I am wondering why I have so many ( Laughing):)

Reflection