Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A cactus garden in Iowa.........


Mrs. Burkhart now lives in an assisted living facility in another town, but her cactus garden resurrects each year with wonderful yellow blooms.


I have seen cactus like this grown at a western theme part of an amusement park.  It was being grown with yucca plants with western wagon wheels around them.


My memories of this plant is that it grows wild along the highways in Nebraska starting just a few miles into the state from Iowa.  I guess it likes sandhills and a more sandy soil. 

7 comments:

claude said...

Beautiful cactus, Larry !
IMpossible here because of the very cold winter, excepted in flower pots we can put int the heated greenhouse.

Anonymous said...

Such pretty blooms and very unique to me. Thanks for sharing.

Valerie said...

These flowers are lovely, Denise. I used to keep different kinds of cactus plants but never once had one flower.

Valerie said...

Apologies for calling you Denise.... I was distracted by the postman and forgot where I was!!!!!

L. D. said...

Hey Valerie, I have done that before. I opened up a site beyond another site and forget where I really was. I must admit that I have never been called Denise before, but it is a nice name.Larry

Little Nell said...

Those are lovely cacti. Here on Lanzarote there is a ‘Cactus Garden’ created by the architect Cesar Manrique, and it’s a real eye-opener. I never realised there were so many varieties, nor how beautiful some can be.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like this cactus..yellow..gotta love yellow flowers! :)

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...