Saturday, July 30, 2011

Quilter's Landscape......

Artist,  Zella M. Burgus, 1919-2008

As my mother reached an age of no return with the making of quilts,  I can see in this quilt the artist's expressions fading and changing from that of a person with a younger heart.  Each fabric had a meaning, a memory, but the placement of the pattern and color became more of a difficult task.  The choice of colors became random shapes only, just to get the job done and any color would do.

Her love of bright colors meant that she would use them but there would be no more actual reason for it.  Also it is a pattern of mixed patterns and scrambled colors with less perfect skills in the sewing of the many blocks into rows.

Just like Monet with his fading sight, creating large waterlily paintings or an older artist's mind who knows the process but it fades to minimal work, my mom had moved into that stage of work. It is still a masterpiece that they all produce but one from a fading creator of greater past times.

This quilt was passed on to my son and his wife today.  It actually has more of my mom's person embedded in it than most as it shows the true self's being to the viewer.  It was a work that would be one of her last.

My son Aaron was special to her and if she had known that he and his wife had received it she would have had a huge smile.

6 comments:

claude said...

Very nice work, Larry, I loved Patchwork. I made a coverlet with small knitted squares and some crocheting cushions. I think it must be more difficult with cloth squares.

Valerie said...

There is something special about a quilt that is a mishmash of colours and patterns. Thanks for sharing this heirloom.

Anonymous said...

Your son and his wife are very blessed to have something that required so much of your mom's love and patience. I know she would be so happy that you passed it on.

Catharina Engberg said...

Love your beautyful pictures both photos and art! By the way; I have relatives living in Illinois and Iowa. My mother and her sister is visiting them now.I would love to go again for a visit, but it´s too expensive./ Regards from another artist and teacher, living in Sweden.

Little Nell said...

That’s a wonderful memento to pass on to your son and wife; I’m sure they will treasure it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wonderful! I hope they treasure it..I love all the colors..beauty is in the eye of the beholder..and I love all the scrappy quilts..using up fabric just because..and if it were all match matchy is wouldn't be as pretty:)

Peony and Tulips....

  The flowers are getting a gentle rain this morning.  It  makes the soil and sub soil happier as our drought is less these days.