Sunday, August 21, 2011

Gardens in a clearing......


I picked up a book about people who had a clearing on their property and they created special gardens in them.  Furniture, fences or structures that were special and looked sculptural were a part of each garden.  The clearings were really in unexpected places that made them look magical.
The book is entitled:

A Clearing in the Woods: Creating Contemporary Gardens

by Roger Foley (Photographer)

It made me think of this old wheelbarrow that I just parked out among my yellow squash vines.  I didn't have the heart to throw this barrow away as my dad had made it quite a few years ago.  Every year it was filled with dirt and loaded with petunias.  His later years were difficult with his health so it had been put away in a storage shed.  It was one of the last things I dug out of that shed recently and I didn't want to take it to the landfill.

It does seem like a sculptural form to me as I threw old pots inside of it and there it just sits.  The vines and other plants have just grown up around it.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

i like this old wooden wheelbarrow..you can use it where ever you want..after all you are the gardener:)

Valerie said...

That's a lovely idea, Larry, and really no different to the stone ornaments we pay a fortune for.

troutbirder said...

What a sweet post. A beautiful picture and thought, Larry.....

Reflection