Thursday, September 8, 2011

Snakes.....

Garter snake
Archived Photo

I opened my outside basement door in June and there was a snake convention going on up and down the concrete stairs.  I couldn't get a good count but there were a lot of them.  With the dog's pooper scooper I caught one and carried it out to the trash can. It was a very big one.  I came back thinking I would not get any more.  I was wrong as five captured snakes later they were all headed to the landfill.  I recently  caught two more of them around the back door.  There are more of them out there but they seem to be hibernating already.

As I was late posting this, I caught another one this evening while I was out grilling burgers.  Never fear, I have seen the little small ones in the grass from this springs new birthing so I won't run out of snakes.

7 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ewww, Larry I would have run a mile :)
~Jo

Maryhocam said...

And I thought my close encounter with a scorpion in the bathroom was bad!

troutbirder said...

I know they're supposed to be good in the garden... but a whole flock running up and down the stips. No thanks... :)

dellartist said...

My hero! I hope they have a happy life far, far away in the landfill.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I would run from Iowa to Minnesota..screaming. they must have liked the warmth of the concrete..I have not seen one all summer..knock on something wooden:)

donna said...

Oh ya....I was really worried about you running out of snakes. ha-ha

I'm almost afraid to ask if any of them made their way into the house.

That's one convention I'm glad I didn't attend.

Interesting post. Haven't read one like it recently.

donna

Vivian aka Deborah said...

Yikes! Snakes on a plane, I mean.....in Larry's garden!

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...