Saturday, December 31, 2011

King Edward VII.....


If you do an quick search about King Edward VII you will find out he was the son of Queen Victoria. He was King of the United Kingdom and Emperor of India. If you heard of the Edwardian era, he is the one who it is named after as it was during his reign.  He died in 1910 the same year that my dad was born.

My dad bought a lot of these cigars and also he would buy Swisher Sweets in small boxes that I now have learned were a Swisher Product also. I don't really understand why a company would name their product after him other than the cigar smoking tradition of fine gentlemen would be projected through the photo on the box.

I brought a lot of these boxes home from my parents home and later on I discovered that the letter you see here in the box was a prized letter of my mom's.  The letter is the first one that my dad sent home to my mom after his arrival in Belgium.  It was WW II, 1944, and he was sent there to join the American troops who were already engaged in the Battle of the Bulge.

I read the letter and maybe have posted it before but my dad is amazed as to his new surroundings. He is being trained in Belgium before he is sent to the front. He is worried about his older son's sickness and his brother who was shipped to an area near today's Alaska. He signs his name Daddy as the two sons are probably 1 and 3 years old.

The rest of the things in the box are pictures and receipts from various purchases.  The pictures are of all eras as the boxes really are the junk drawers for my mom. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a treasure for you to have this letter. While discussing your cigar boxes with John, I discovered that he has one that he has saved all thru the years!

Far Side of Fifty said...

We like Cigar boxes too..this is a great collection..especially sine your Mom used it to store some of her treasures. Have you thought about framing the letter with a few old photos from back then? I bet you could come up with a custom frame:)

Valerie said...

The letter is a wonderful keepsake. Those cigar boxes are great for storage, we had to sort through quite a lot when my aunt died. She had inherited them from my grandfather and used them to keep handkerchiefs, jewellery and various other small items.

Tall and Short....

 At four in the morning and one is walking the empty hallways, one never knows what the camera might shoot.