Sunday, December 4, 2011

Shine and Glow


When I was young the variety of stores in the area were limited. Being a farming community the major stores were more like hardware stores.  We did have a dimestore in Osceola, but the major stores were Gambles, Western Auto, Coast to Coast and all were on main street.  They were like a farm and home store today. One could find a few Christmas ornaments in these stores even though they sold tires and appliances.  I guess they were a lot like the present day Ace Hardwares.

The indent ornaments were popular when I was  young and they seemed magical with their three dimensional design.  They broke easily as they were made of blown glass and the glass was thin.  I remember hanging plastic bells and round Shiny Brite plain balls of color with them.

This is one that I bought in a replica set  a few years back and I think they now use thicker glass to make them more sturdy. They are also sadly using blown plastic for some of them too.

One memory that just popped up was the one of dad always having to deal with the straight line electric Christmas lights.  We usually had two small strings of lights.  When we bought a third string one year I though we were rich.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both you and Connie @ Far Side blog have some beautiful Shiny Brite balls. I can remember grandma having one like you have pictured here. That's a cute memory of your Dad and the lights.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is a very pretty indent! As you know I love the Shiny Brites..one of these days that tree will go up. Mennards has replica Shiny Brites again this year. Of course I will buy at least one box. The old Shiny Brites were elusive last summer..but then I didn't get to as many garage sales either:)

Valerie said...

So that's why my baubles used to shatter... I didn't know (at that age) that they were made of glass. Don't worry, I grew up and learned a lot.

Linda said...

I look forward to seeing your Christmas decorations, Larry. These indented baubles bring back memories for me.

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...