Sunday, January 22, 2012

Coffee and a good book......


My resource while watching the birds outside sits next to a big mug of java.  The birds were feeding wildly yesterday as the cold weather made them hungry. I have seen two pairs of cardinals in the past days.  The female cardinals were having a territorial spat.  I don't think I have ever seen that before but they didn't hurt each other.

My new suet had a woodpecker at it this morning and the birds are feeding today as if there were a storm coming.

We had ice coatings this morning and now the rest of the day has been foggy.  A winter storm warning is predicted north of us.  The Boone and Story counties are a part of this warning.  We live about a mile south of Boone county so it will be interesting to see if we get the storm.  I think the thought of snow storm makes me want to go make a fresh pot of coffee.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A pot of hot coffee sounds like an excellent idea with the weather you are experiencing. What a lovely bird book. Every Spring at the old house, a male cardinal would see his reflection in the same window by the porch and "fight" with himself! I finally taped some curly ribbon on the window to blow in the breeze to discourage him! Stay safe and warm this week.

Valerie said...

I don't drink coffee anymore but I like your coffee mug. Bird books are at hand here but the birds seem to be disappearing fast. I have skewered apples and pairs to the lawn while it's cold - it's completely foxed the squirrel who runs off with whole fruit if we let him. I hope you miss out on the storm.

Alan Burnett said...

I try to keep up with the birds in our back yard and remember to provide them with food. But there are so few at this time of the year. Most have had the good sense to fly south.

troutbirder said...

Pretty much my set up also. The winter days pass more quickly then... :)

Reflection