Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Antique Store.......


This is an archived photo from a store in downtown Ames, Iowa.  It was probably ten years or more when I was there.  I had a group of art students with me and we were killing time after pizza before the bus was to leave to go to an art exhibit on the ISU campus. I don't know if the antique store is still in business today.

The gas station had these types of machines in which you would pump the gas up into the glass area at the top.  You would hand pump by a lever until you reached a measure of so many gallons and then you stopped pumping.  Then you would take the hose and allow the gas to flow through the hose into your model T.

No electricity involved as gravity was the energy to get it into the car and the person's arm was the energy needed to get the gas up into the top of the glass tank.




4 comments:

Hilary said...

Gas stations are a shell of the places they once were. ;)

Anonymous said...

That would have been a fun store to explore!

The china in my post with the fruit on it, was mama's china from Sears (c. 1949) Wembley by Harmony House. I appreciate you noticing it.

claude said...

I thank people are nostalgic for the old machines of the past.

Valerie said...

That's interesting. I wonder if any were here in the uk.

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...