Friday, February 3, 2012

Finch Friday......


I was given zebra finches many years ago. I actually believe the science teacher dumped three females on me.  I went out and bought a male for them.  They reproduced well and I gave a lot of finches out in pairs.  As time has gone by through the years they have finally faded out in numbers.  I have this lone male in one cage and another lone male that likes to pull out it's neck feathers when it gets nervous.  I would like to put the two together but I think the nervous guy would be upset with the situation.

I really like the call of the rooster finch and the do call even when there is no female around. When you feed them the male calls as if he is warning others to stay away from his seed.  In the spring I may buy a female partner for this guy and start a new family again.  I don't like to transport birds during the winter even though they are cold blooded creatures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful bird. I wish you success with finding a girlfriend for him.

Harriet is recovering from 7 teeth extractions today. She needs lots of TLC.

Hope your weather will not be too bad this evening. Take care.

ScrappySandie said...

My sister used to have several finches. I love their cheery sound.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I used to have Zebra finches, too and love their 'call'...they remind me of Wood Ducks in their coloration, so exotic.

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...