Thursday, March 29, 2012

Eastern Blues...........




Eastern Bluebells
Mertensia virginica

When I was a young boy on the farm we had these bluebells growing up in the badly maintaiined flower garden row.  My parents would have to pull the tall grass away and the weeds and one could see these flowers with their great blue color.  I always thought them to be magical as they were planted by another set of farm owners and they would come up each year like a natural wildflower.

When I purchased my home where I live now it was late spring and I didn't have a clue that I would have these coming up all over the property.  It is an old house and who would wonder which homeowner had planted them in the last 108 years.  They have actually spread in the years that I have owned the place and they are one of my favorite spring flowers.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are lovely and I don't know that I've seen any like these. When I pass by an old homeplace, I enjoy imagining all the folks who planted flowers over the years.

Michael and Hanne said...

Nice. Very nice. But what is their botanical name?

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Very pretty- your close up shows their beautiful tones of blue.

claude said...

Wonderful blue trumpets, Larry !
Have a good week-end.

Valerie said...

They are lovely. I really like them. The bluebells we have are so different, I think I prefer yours.

Far Side of Fifty said...

They are a beautiful plant, you are lucky to have them:)

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...