Monday, February 11, 2013

An Old Shed.......


Behind our main street sits this shed.  It has a lot of history as it looks old.  It is covered with the fake asphalt rolled shingle material which probably is full of asbestos. I drive by this building regularly and I ignore its state of decline.   It is a visible eyesore that seems to blend into the cityscape after while.

My one time memory of being in the building was 30 years ago when I went inside.  There was a garage sale being held in the shed.  I bought two non matching ceramic lamps  that were of a classical style with stencil decals of roses on them.  They were from the 20's or 30's and we still have the in our bedroom today. They are like classic urn shaped and have gold accents painted on them.  I paid five dollars for the two of them.  I remember the price was low and they lay on the floor in the dirt.  Someone had emptied an attic or an old apartment from main street and was getting rid of the junk.

Note the ice and water that surrounds the building. The melted snow doesn't sink into the ground.  It freezes and melts daily.  The strong winds we are having today is evaporating some of the moisture now.

3 comments:

troutbirder said...

Interesting memory. And I love that red amalrylis.

Valerie said...

The building itself looks solid... does anyone use it? Mind you, it sounds too dangerous to walk by, imagine slipping on that ice.

L. D. said...

I would believe someone must store something in it. It may be full of junk or a dumping ground for things. I don't even know who owns it.

Peony and Tulips....

  The flowers are getting a gentle rain this morning.  It  makes the soil and sub soil happier as our drought is less these days.