Saturday, March 2, 2013

Split Rock Lighthouse........


The featured photo today is of our little model of the Split Rock lighthouse.  The real lighthouse sits atop a large rock formation along the shore line of Lake Superior in Minnesota.  My wife and I have painted and drawn at the location for many summers.

The story behind it being built includes the lack of roads to get there at the time made it hard to get the supplies on the site.  Everything was shipped in by boat and an cable system was built to move the brick and mortar up the very long, steep incline.

Breaking my rules of only using photographs of my own or close family, here is a photo of the lighthouse from the internet. As you can see it is sitting out on a rocky cliff.  One can tour the lighthouse and go up into the very top of it.  We have done it once, with my wife not telling me how terrifying it was for her to walk the metal stairs up to it.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you. This is beautiful. I visited Lake Superior long ago and treasure the memories!

Hilary said...

Rules are made to be broken occasionally. I'm happy to see the lighthouse. And I can understand your wife's terror of those metal stairs. I'd share it.

Valerie said...

Lighthouses always seem to be in a precarious position...lol. I have always wanted to go to the top of one. Sadly, the dream never came to pass.

Anonymous said...

Very picturesque and interesting history.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I could have emailed you a photo to use:) It is a wonderful place to visit..I just like to take photos..it has been years since I was in the lighthouse:)

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...