Saturday, November 23, 2013

Bone Chilling Cold........


We rarely saw our cardinal pair all summer but in the past few weeks we have seen the male.  I haven't been keeping much in the feeders most of the summer.  I throw or recycle the leftovers from the cockatiel seed feeders.  Rather than throw away the leftover seed in their trays, we toss it into containers so the outside birds can dig for some of the leftovers. The inside birds really don't like the little colored bits of fruit that comes in the seed.  Also the cockatiels don't always catch all the sunflower seeds that are in there.  The finches will dig through their seed to find food but cockatiels like to only eat off the first layer.  They only dig if they are really hungry.


I have seen better poses of this guy at the feeder but today he just wants to sit in the sun side of the feeder.  I think it was too cold for them to eat this morning but as the sun started shining brightly the juncos and sparrows started hitting the snow below the feeder.  I said cold but I couldn't believe that we were 8 degrees F. this morning. That is a -14 degrees C. for the rest of the world.  It is to warm up to 15 or 21 today but will cool down to 10 degrees for the Iowa State football game this evening.  Ames is about 30 minutes driving time from here. It is said that it will be the coldest that they have ever played at ISU.  We are not going outside today.


6 comments:

Karen said...

i love to see the cardinals in winter. KC pretty cold this morning, too, but not single digits! Hope the weather cooperates for our trip back to Indiana for Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

The cardinal is gorgeous. Wow, that is cold. I don't blame you for staying in today.

Linda said...

Awwwww....how sweet to have captured this cardinal! Beautiful, Larry!

troutbirder said...

Really cold here this morning as well. I'm not really ready for this....:)

lark said...

What a lovely bird, on a beautiful feeder! Makes a gorgeous photo! We do not get cardinals where I live.
I'm not getting your blog updates in my newsfeed....last update was 8 months ago

Valerie said...

Goodness me, that is cold. How on earth do you keep warm? I was surprised to read that birds could be too cold to eat. Poor things. You got a couple of good pictures, though.

Bouquet